August 1, 2014 |
Experience DAOU, Food and Wine Pairing, Recipes |
DAOU Summer Sliders
DAOU Summer Pulled Pork Sliders
Enjoy these pulled pork sliders with a glass of the DAOU Reserve Zinfandel.
For the pork:
· 1 3 -pound Boston butt pork roast
· 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
· 1 tablespoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1 1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
· 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
· Kosher salt
· 1 12 -ounce bottle beer
· 16 slider rolls, split and toasted
· Crispy Kale Chips for topping
For the sauce:
· 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
· 1 clove garlic, smashed
· 1 Fresno chile pepper, halved lengthwise (remove seeds for less heat)
· 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons tomato paste
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. Set the pork on a cutting board and score the fat in a crosshatch pattern, making the cuts about 3/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart. Make the rub by combining the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, celery salt, mustard powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Massage it into the meat.
- Place the pork in a roasting pan and pour the beer into the pan. Cover with foil and roast 3 hours. Turn the roast over every hour.
- Remove the foil and continue roasting until the pork has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees F. Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 30 minutes.
- During cooking, make the sauce by combing vinegar, garlic, chile, brown sugar, tomato paste, Dijon mustard and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove the chile.
- Pull the pork into long shreds using 2 forks. Get rid of the fat. Toss the pork with any residual pan juices and add salt to taste.
- Serve the pork on slider rolls with a drizzle of sauce; top with crispy kale chips.